The Income Tax Department is currently not accepting tax returns without Aadhar card or Aadhar enrollment number. Starting July 1, if you have an Aadhar card or the Aadhar enrollment number you must mention it in your tax return to complete e-filing.
Existing Aadhar cardholders:
- You must link your Aadhar and PAN prior to e-filing.
- Link it here if you haven't done so already.
- In case of mismatch, get it corrected. (Takes 10 days to take effect)
- Log back in to ClearTax, fill up your Aadhar card/Aadhar enrollment number and then complete your e-filing.
- All the data you've entered before is saved.
The Department website is not allowing users to complete their e-filing without an Aadhar card from July 1.
We're waiting for an official communication from the Income Tax Department on how non-Aadhar cardholders should proceed. The recourse, in the meanwhile, would be to apply for Aadhar and quote the Aadhar enrolment number in the tax return to complete e-filing.
For instructions on how to apply for Aadhar, please read: How to apply for Aadhar?
Other reasons why e-filing could fail:
- Name Mismatch. Enter your name exactly as it is mentioned in your PAN and proceed to e-filing.
- Date of Birth incorrect. Enter your date of birth exactly as it is mentioned in your PAN and proceed to e-filing.
If none of the above helps, write to us. A member of the support team will look into it and help you complete your e-filing.